DIVE INTO COLLEGE RECRUITING AND ADMISSION
A WORKSHOP FOR THE ASPIRING COLLEGE SWIMMER
Parents and swimmers currently in 8th-11th grade
MAY 1, 2029 11am- 4pm. ZOOM WORKSHOP
The workshop will provide swimmers and their families a deep knowledge of the college recruiting and admissions process along with resources for self-guidance.
There is a college team for every serious high school swimmer of at least sectional level. Diana Daymond will use her deep knowledge of swimming and college admissions to lead swimmers and their families through a multi session workshop. Diana will present a detailed overview and share grade level worksheets, timelines, resources and advice taking swimmers through the five stages of college recruiting and admission which ideally begins in 9th grade.
Diana is a College Admissions Advisor with over 15 years of experience guiding swimmers through college recruiting and admissions. As a former nationally ranked swimmer, mother of two Terrapins college swimmers and a graduate of Berkeley and MIT, Diana is uniquely qualified to share her program of navigating the college admission journey of aspiring college swimmers.
P * R * I * D * E
PREPARE – RESEARCH – IMPRESS – DECIDE - ENROLL
Fill out the form in the Workshop Registration tab.
ZOOM information and materials emailed on April 24th.
April 24th registration deadline. Questions? E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
11am-12:30pm: Overall presentation and questions on all aspects of college admissions and recruiting for the serious high school athlete.
Presentation followed by required specialized workshops. Grade level sessions go over parent and grade level worksheets which covers tasks, research and goals.
1:00- 1:25: Parents Session. Worksheet and questions
1:30-2:15pm: 8th Grade Session. Worksheet and tasks for this summer and 9th grade.
2:30-3:15pm: 9th Grade Session. Worksheet and tasks for this summer and 10th grade.
3:30-4:15pm: 10 &11th Grade Session. Worksheet and tasks for this summer and 11th grade.
Included: Follow up 60 minute private consultation with swimmers and parents who thoroughly complete and return their worksheets with in three months.
PARTIAL LIST OF TOPICS PRESENTED
• College swimming overview: Background information, the NCAA, advantages and challenges of college swimming.
• The role of: Swimmer, parent, club coach and school counselor.
• Overall timeline for a recruited swimmer.
• High School class choice & Academic performance
• Testing and test prep. What, when and need to test?
• Swimming Goals: assessing levels of achievement needed for target schools.
• Character and self-discovery: Future majors and career possibilities.
• Extra-curricular activities beyond swimming
• NCAA registration and requirements.
• Are you recruitable? Assessing academic and swimming levels and the college list.
• Creating the swimmer’s college list.
• Researching colleges and swim programs of various levels.
• Researching financial options including athletic scholarships.
• School research trips.
• Coach contact: The swimmer CV, E mails, calls, interviews, video, questionnaire, etc.
• Gauging coach interest
• Juggling interest and communication in multiple schools.
• School visits: Official and unofficial.
DECISION AND APPLICATION:
• Comparing options and making a decision.
• Application overview for the recruited athlete.
• Essays, Recommendations & Interviews
• The National Letter of Intent.
• Responsibilities after commitment.
MATERIALS PACKET INCLUDES:
• 8th/9th Grade Worksheet
• 10th grade Worksheet
• 11th Grade Worksheet
• 12th Grade Worksheet
• Parent Worksheet
• College List for Swimmers Worksheet
• Self-Discovery Worksheet and resources.
• The Overall College Admission Timeline for Swimming Recruits
• Detailed Four Year Swimming Recruiting Timeline
• Detailed Four Year Academic Timeline for Recruited Swimmers.
• “Meet the Application”
• Resource List for the Swimmers College Search
• Resources for financing college including scholarships.
• Sample Coaches Letters and Swimmer CV
Diana has successfully guided dozens of swimmers through the recruiting and application process for almost 20 years into schools such as Stanford, UCLA, Princeton, Yale, Amherst, Williams, Berkeley, Harvard, Occidental, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins and many more. Diana is a graduate of UC Berkeley and MIT. She is butterflier who competed at Olympic trials and NCAA’s but found her greatest joy in cheering on hundreds of swimmers as a Head Coach for over 10 years and her own children when they swam for Princeton and Wellesley. Diana uniquely combines her swimming expertise with over 15 years as a college admissions advisor. Diana constantly updates her swimming and admissions knowledge as an active member of several professional organizations and will shortly complete the UC Berkeley College Admissions Certificate Program.